Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to take out a policy?

EHICPlus Travel Insurance is available to persons who have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least 6 months prior to taking out this insurance and are European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) holders.
Cover is only available for round trips starting from and returning to the UK.

How much will my travel insurance cost?

The cost of your policy will depend on the type of policy and cover you require, the duration of your trip (for Single-trip), the number and the age of people travelling. Some pre-existing Medical Conditions might also affect the total premium rate.

How can I pay?

You can pay online using a Visa, MasterCard or Maestro card.

How is my policy delivered?

Your policy is delivered via your email address.

What countries does EHICPlus cover?

All European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland including:
Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Croatia, Cyprus (but not Northern Cyprus), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Macedonia, Montenegro, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and Ukraine.
Please note: Cover within the UK applies to pre-booked trips only and must require payment for at least one overnight stay in a commercial accommodation facility such as hotel, bed and breakfast, hostel etc.

Do I need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)?

All insured persons must have a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) at the time of purchase of the policy, and throughout the duration of the policy. Failure to maintain this Card will result in medical charges being incurred which will not be recoverable under this policy, which will always act as if a full recovery under EHIC was made.

You may apply for an EHIC online.

You may also apply for an EHIC by calling 0300 330 1350.

Application forms are also available from your local Post Office.

Please note: An EHIC is no substitute for travel insurance cover.

Who are the Insurers?

This insurance contract is between you and Mapfre Asistencia trading in the United Kingdom under the name of Mapfre Assistance, with registered office at 5th Floor, Alpha House, 24a Lime Street, London, EC3M 7HS; and corporate tax number 680/1807623857. Mapfre Asistencia is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to operate in the United Kingdom according to the right of freedom of establishment of the European Union and the European Economic Area (EAA) legislation.

How do I know what I'm covered for?

Please read the Policy Summary and Policy Wording for details of the cover.

How long can I travel for?

The Annual Multi-trip policy allows you to take any number of round trips during the year, each up to a maximum of 31, 45 or 60 days long. We may be able to extend your trip length limit to up to 90 days for an Additional Premium.

The Single Trip policy covers individual trips from 1 day up to a maximum of 122 days long.

Do you cover one-way trips?

No. Cover is only available for round trips starting from and returning to the UK.

Do you offer a "Cooling off" Period?

Yes, if for any reason you are not satisfied with the terms and conditions of your cover; you may return the Policy and Schedule to us within 14 days of the date of issue for cancellation. Any premium paid will then be refunded, provided you have not started your holiday and you have made no claim. No refund of premium is available after the 14-day period.

Why should I buy Annual Multi-Trip travel insurance?

If you plan to go away more than once in the next year, you can save time and money with the Annual Multi-trip policy. With an Annual Multi-trip policy you may take any number of round trips during the policy period of cover up to a maximum duration of 31/45/60 days for any one trip.

Why shouldn't my Annual Multi-trip cover start just before I take my next trip?

The cover includes loss of deposit and cancellation charges, so it is essential you already have the cover in place when you book and pay your deposit.

Can I get travel insurance if I have an existing medical condition?

The website includes Medical Screening questions which you and each person to be insured must answer during the first stage of the application process.

If you can answer NO to ALL four questions you can apply for cover.

If you answer YES to any of them you will be taken automatically through Medical Screening where you will be required to answer a series of questions. At the end of the process, you will be advised on what terms cover can be provided.

All persons to be insured should read the Medical Conditions and Material Facts Warranty carefully.

Am I covered for Winter Sports?

If you indicate that you require Winter Sports, and pay the appropriate Additional Premium.

Am I covered for all skiing activities under Winter Sports cover?

No, some activities are not covered. Please check the Policy Summary and Policy Wording for details.

Am I covered for hazardous activities?

If you are going to take part in any hazardous activity, you may not be covered by this policy. Please check the list of Acceptable Activities.

If you are intending to take part in any activity not shown in the list that may be considered hazardous or require confirmation of whether your activity is insured, please contact us on 08450 555 222. We may be able to cover your activity as standard or in some cases for an Additional Premium.

Do you have a 24-hour Emergency Medical Assistance service?

Yes, the EHICPlus Travel Insurance policy entitles the insured person(s) to the use of a 24-hour emergency medical assistance service. This service is provided by MAPFRE Assistance who employ a team of trained multi lingual assistance co-ordinators.

Full details of the service they provide and how to contact them can be found in the Policy Wording.

How do I make a claim?

Full details of what you need to do to make a claim are shown in your Policy Wording.

Please note: You will be expected to follow the claims procedure shown in your Policy Wording, section "How To Make A Claim" and to substantiate your claim by providing supporting documentation.

If I take out this travel insurance, will it be like having private medical cover abroad?

No, travel insurance and private medical insurance are different things. Travel cover will look after emergency expenses if you are injured or ill abroad, but not the wide range of treatment expected with medical insurance.

How can I see the latest emergency travel advice?

Please check our latest Emergency Travel Information for the Underwriter's advice which may affect your trip and cover.
You can also check the UK Government Foreign and Commonwealth Office travel advice.